Monday, February 4, 2013

Plug it in, walk away.

There is only ONE thing stopping me from doing this right now, and that is my accessory battery charger. It is a Schumacher charger that keeps the 12V accessory battery (the one that powers stuff like headlights, contactor, stereo, vacuum pump, heater fan, etc.) charged. Every time I plug my car in for charging, all the traction pack chargers turn on and hum away on their own, but I always have to go inside the car and push a button on this charger.

This bugs me. I want to be able to plug it in and walk away. So for weeks I have been [lightly] searching for a nice 2A microprocessor type charger and turns on by itself. I finally found one yesterday on eBay that fits the bill:
It is actually sold by a powersports retailer and it's meant for maintaining batteries in snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs. $18.99 with free shipping to my US mailbox. Not bad.

I just hope it actually outputs 2 amps all the way up to voltage cutoff. That's really all I need to keep my accessory battery charged. And if it doesn't put out enough current I guess I will end up with a nice charger to keep my motorcycle's battery happy all winter long.

No comments:

Post a Comment