Saturday, February 2, 2013

Mazda Engines

I have been meaning to haul the engine that came out of the Electric Booger to the scrap bin at work for quite some time now. It has been on Craigslist since I removed it from the car but as soon as people know that it has 281,000 km on it, they quickly hang up.

I don't have a pickup truck and though I could easily borrow one from work, coordinating a helper to lift the engine into the back has proven to be a challenge. So I decided to draw some inspiration from the old Johnny Cash song, "One Piece At A Time":
I have been stripping down the 1.6L SOHC high-miler down and taking pieces to the scrap bin every day. And I am extremely impressed by how everything looks in this engine. The bearings are all like new and the bores all have lots of crosshatch.
I could have easily lifted it into the back of the Electric Booger without removing the oil pan, stiffener plate, crankshaft, rods and pistons, but what fun would that have been? Plus, I might hang a piston from my rear view mirror as sort of a gesture of cruel irony.

I had lots of fun dismantling this tiny tiny engine - probably because I am used to doing 15L diesels at work. Car engines are so cute in comparison!

No comments:

Post a Comment