Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Killawatt

Today I ordered up a Killawatt to monitor power consumption. Now that I am not using gasoline I may as well keep track of my electricity consumption, right?

As you can see, the Killiwatt simply goes in between the wall socket and my extension cord and tracks my power consumption. That way I can figure out my KWH/mile and maybe even MPGe if I feel like it. Which I probably will.

This week at work I am on evening shift, four to midnight. It is getting a little bit chilly in the evenings, so I fear that my battery capacity coming home may not suffice. For those of you who do not know, lead acid batteries lose much of their capacity as ambient temperatures go down - as much as 30-40% if it gets below freezing.

The Weather Network shows 6C outside right now. My voltmeter was a sagging little lower than normal up the hill, but I didn't notice any performance difference.

I preheated the car with a 120V heater for an hour before work ended. That way my EV heater only had to maintain the toastiness level instead of warming the whole interior up.

I have replaced the [hopefully] last dud battery in my pack with a [hopefully] decent one. Maybe tomorrow I will load test this one after driving to work and before charging. The car is still running great!

No comments:

Post a Comment